The current Tucker Park is actually only a small section of the 400 acre farm bequeathed by Colonel Tucker to the city of Saint John in 1914. The rest of the land has been split up over the years with 87 acres of the original farm being turned over to the University of New Brunswick for its Saint John Tucker Park Campus in 1965. The remaining land was at risk of further development until the formation of the Tucker Park Recreation Association, who have worked tirelessly to demonstrate the value and potential of the Park with new infrastructure and programming.
The three small islands that make up The Brothers are Goat Island, Indian Island, and Burnt Island. These islands are found at the confluence of two great rivers, the Kennebecasis and the Wolastoq. Little is known about the history of The Brothers other than the fact that they were granted to the Wolastoqiyik in 1830 for use by the Paul brothers. Unfortunately the title of Burnt Island is under dispute. In the 1920s, a copper mine was staked on the island. Because of this mineral claim, when the province transferred the administration of reserve lands to the federal government in 1959, Burnt Island was not included in the transfer. Today, Indian, and Goat islands are registered to Kingsclear, Madawaska, Tobique, and Woodstock, with plans to have St. Mary’s and Oromocto added to the shared ownership.